(A Component of Research and Development)
The purpose is to coordinate and implement integrated social development policies and strategies that facilitate the empowerment and development of the youth. This is achieved through, amongst others;
Masupatsela Youth Pioneer Programme
The Masupatsela youth development programme is one of the initiatives that seeks to address the challenges facing South Africa’s youthful population by utilising them as development resources. In so doing the effects of immense poverty, vulnerability, and high unemployment will be reversed. The Masupatsela project therefore aims to:
- Reduce poverty amongst the youth,
- Second economy intervention especially in terms of skills development and improving youth employability,
- Building a new cadre of public servants especially within Social Sector with new values of caring and compassion, and
- Promote social cohesion and nation building.
Linking of youth with economic and employment opportunities
Youth are linked with various opportunities such as the IT, sewing, advertising learnerships in the Municipalities and the Department of the Premier and the National Youth Service Programme implemented by the National Youth Development Agency.
National Youth Service
The Department of Social Development partnered with the Department of Health to identify 500 young persons from the poorest towns in the Free State for enrolment into the NYS programme. These young people receive training and stipends whilst their capacity is being built on specific areas of professional excellence as Child and Youth Care Work at NQF Level 4 with the main focus on the following areas of service delivery:
- Substance Abuse;
- Youth in conflict with the Law;
- Community Home Based Care for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children; and
- Early Childhood Development facilitation